Toaster Launcher Dev Diary - Week 01 (May 29 - June 04, 2023) - Setting Up

    Before I address this week's progress, I would need to answer my question on whether should the game be played on landscape or portrait. I have been considering portrait since I believe that it would be more comfortable for a vertical side-scroller. However, while this would be fit for mobile platforms, it would not be cohesive when considering PCs or other more dominant platforms using landscape gameplay. Ultimately, I have decided to stick to landscape like the original Toaster Launcher. 

    Now on to the main entry. These few weeks, I have been learning on how to code in GDScript, which is the Godot engine's main scripting language. Having already learned C++, C# and the Unity engine during my college years, the main structure feels familiar enough for me to catch up while watching several tutorials about the programming language. In the end, I have managed to recreate the movement mechanics of the player. So far, the task was easier than I have thought it would be, especially because of Godot's convenient input system. The player could now move in all directions (using WASD or arrow keys), can boost (using Shift) like in the original game, and most of all, it can now be moved by the mouse, eliminating the need to boost. I would later add an option on switching between the keyboard or mouse as the input for the player so that the user could choose whatever input device is best suited for them (controller support could be added as well).

    What has also been done from this was improving the player's mobility compared to the original, which was the reason I considered portrait in the first place. Allowing the player to move in all directions and adding movement through the mouse would make things easier to cover more ground, especially since the game would still be in landscape. In addition, the objects are smaller now to allow more space to roam and analyze in.

Original


Remake


    To end this entry, I should inform that I would be going for a weekend outing so there would be no entry this week. I would still be working on the game during the gap, mostly focusing on recreating the combat system and documenting the game's development.

Make sure you stay tuned for updates on the game's development! 🍞💣
- Arolf Delano Santos

Comments