Toaster Launcher Dev Diary - Week 03 (July 9 - 15, 2023) - Basic Combat System

     After the delay, I have been focusing on where I have left off on recreating the combat system. Before, a firing function was added. However, I forget to mention that the function does not rely on continuously pressing the fire button anymore as it now runs on a rate-of-fire and the function now relies on holding the button instead.

    I have finally added enemies and set up their spawning system. Right now, the current enemies are the basic bomb, the red bomb, the fast dynamite and the tanky bomb (which is now a plastic explosive instead of a barrel). The order of which I have listed is also proportional on how likely they would spawn.

    Reflecting on the lose condition of the original Toaster Launcher, which is if even one explosive touches the ground, I decided to shelf it and change the lose condition to a lives-based one instead -- the then invulnerable toaster can now be instantly destroyed by an explosive and the player would lose once they have ran out of lives. However, the player lives and respawn system have not been implemented yet.

    For now, the bare-bones of combat have been finished. Soon, I would try to implement basic polishes, the player's lives and respawn system, and adding the remaining enemies: the parachute bomb and the TNT box. Once they are done, I would now research into adding the power-ups into the game.

    I will now end this entry with a video featuring the basic combat system.

Make sure you stay tuned for updates on the game's development! 🍞💣

- Arolf Delano Santos



Comments