The Return of Toaster Launcher

    Just grasping the basics of the Godot Engine, especially since it has recently updated to Godot 4, I knew I should limit to something small instead of getting too ambitious; something that I could complete in less than a year, and then a memory popped into my head -- Toaster Launcher.


    Toaster Launcher was my first ever game that I developed. It was a 2D pixel side-scroller shooter that is a school project for my Unity game development subject and its development was only by a few months. The game features a toaster that shoots toast in order to destroy explosives raining from the sky before it reaches the ground and nukes its home. It was not a perfect game though. The game has no levels but an endless playstyle where the explosives would progressively rain heavier and stronger, and the spawning mechanic was percentage based yet most of the beginning time was spent waiting for a single explosive to drop, which makes for a boring game flow.
    
    So it was decided that I would recreate the game in the Godot Engine since it is lightweight and ideal for small 2D games. Sure enough, I would add much more to the game and fix its previous problems:
  • Level-Based Campaign
  • Previous playstyle added as Endless Mode
  • Improved Spawning Mechanics
  • Power Ups
  • Improved UI
  • Improved Audio
    At the time of this post, Toaster Launcher is currently entering the development phase. The mechanics would have to be translated from C# to GDScript, which is an easier language to understand since it is inspired from Python. Most of the visuals would be in boxes first. However, resources from the old game could be used until they would be replaced by remakes/remasters.

    Toaster Launcher would be available on itch.io on an unspecified date once the game is finished. I have yet to learn if it can be released on Steam as well. Being my first commercial game and considering its simple scale, I am certain that it would be very cheap, but the final price has not been decided yet.

Make sure you stay tuned for updates on the game's development! 🍞💣
- Arolf Delano Santos

Comments